lördag 21 oktober 2017

The season of Mike the Pike a.k.a King of Mälaren





Further down Mike, after the Swedish story, there is the same story in English. You have to excuse my bad English.
Foton från Mikes säsong. De är hans egna, tagna med hans mobiltelefonen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike låter jiggen flyga. Den landar tjugofem meter bort in mot gräskanten.
Yeah man! Did you see that? Säger han nöjt.
– Yes! Nice cast Mike. Svarar jag.
Jag drar upp flugan ur vattnet och kastar bakåt samtidigt som jag vänder på mig. Linan sträcker ut i luften. Jag kastar återigen bakåt och låter några meter lina rinna ut. Spöt spänns, jag laddar för framåtkast. Linan rullar ut i luften. Några meter till släpp ut. Linan sträcker och kastar jag ut bakåt. Linan sträcker ut sig fint och lägger sig bredvid Mikes nedslag medan ringarna efter hans bete fortfarande finns kvar. Det börjar kännas i “backhandmusklerna”. Har kastat backhand ända sen jag fick min andra fisk. Mike har inte fått någon än.
– That cast was epic man! Säger Mike.


Mike gör mothugg. Eller, att bara säga att han gör mothugg, är egentligen en fantastisk underdrift. Han nitar på amerikanskt vis. Jag tänker mig ungefär som när man fäster en vithaj. Har ju aldrig fiskat vithaj. Så, det kan jag ju egentligen inte veta. Den stackars lilla gäddan skjuts ut ur gräskanten. I ren panik styr den först åt vänster och sen höger. Sen planar den upp på ytan som en liten surfbräda och fajten är över. Gäddan är helt spak. Säkert livrädd att något återigen ska rycka i dess underläpp. Mike använder ett läppgrepp. Inget jag själv någonsin skulle använda. Inte tycker jag att någon annan bör göra det heller. Men Mike har en dålig axel. Som ska opereras nu på måndag. Sen är det slut på gäddfisket för ett tag. Och förhoppningsvis också med läppgreppet.
-I´m the fuckin king of Maaalaren! Skrockar Mike.
Jag ler.
-Off course you are Mike! You one and me two. Säger jag och drar iväg ett nytt kast.
Mike backar ut ifrån gräskanten en bit.
-Let´s go over to the Pukehole. Säger Mike och vrider på gasreglaget.
Här är det en del mindre gäddor som jagar ibland stimmen av små glasyngel. Ingen av dem vill bita. Förutom en liten rackare som är på både Mikes och mitt bete. Det är segt ett tag. Vi ser en hel del mindre gäddor som tar yngel längs kanterna. Mike nitar vithaj igen. En liten gädda, ungefär lika stor som min fluga. Far upp på ytan och kapitulerar.
– As I said. King of Malaren! Skrockar han.
Kort efter får han en till.
-Mike three, you two!
-Let´s go after some bigger pike Mike. Säger jag.


Han vrider gasreglaget och vi landar snart längs kanten där det brukar finnas lite bättre gäddor. Han ställer båten tjugofem meter ut från hörnet där den största brukar husera. Han drar iväg sitt bete in i gräset och börjar sakta fiska hem den. Jag laddar min backhand och flugan far iväg. Inget händer. Vi fiskar oss efter kanten. En fisk tar min fluga när jag saktar ner hastigheten i min hemtagning. Det tar så lugnt och försiktigt att det lätt hade kunnat tas för ett grässtrå som fastnat på kroken. Gäddan pinnar ut tio meter från kanten, tvärvänder och rusar in igen. Sen är det slut. En alldeles för smal gädda ligger utsträck på ytan. Två kilo som lätt borde vara tre. Jag lossar ett par iglar från fiskens mun och huvud.
-That was a sad looking pike, Mike. Säger jag när jag släpper den.
Mike kastar vidare.
-This is my worst season yet. Säger jag.
Mike skrattar.
– Everyone says that.
-This has been my best season yet.


Mike the Pike 
Mike är amerikan. Han kommer ursprungligen från Cincinnati. Han blev liksom kvar här sen han träffade kärleken här i Västerås. Mike har en liten båt, eller skorv skulle man kunna kalla den. Den är lika snabb som jag, när jag simmar. Öster Mälarstrand-Björnösundet tar cirka en timme. För en normal båt tar samma sträcka cirka fem minuter. Skrovets är så vattensjukt att båten inte kan plana. Kanske om han hade en hundra hästars motor. Kanske. Om jag och Mike stod bägge två i aktern. Han är en fena på fiske, han Mike. En trixig rackare. Han är raka motsatsen mot vad t ex vad de flesta gäddfiskare är idag. Där stora beten, jerking osv, är normen. Mike fiskar små beten, som han slänger med dödsförakt in bland bråte och vegetation.
– Weedless man! Yeah!
Han får också stor fisk på sina småbeten.
-You have to downsize your fucking flies man!


Till viss del har han säkert rätt. Ofta känner jag ett litet “tick” när jag fiskar gädda. Stingerkrok gillar jag inte. Den skiten är ju för fan livsfarlig. Jag missar hellre lite fisk än att jag använder stinger. Men med något mindre flugor där kroken också är mindre och som hamnar längre bak på flugan. Det skulle kunna ge mig fler gäddor. Nästa år ska jag testa. Men jag tror ju samtidigt att om Mike skulle använda större beten, skulle han också fånga fler större gäddor. Jag gillar de materialsamtal som uppstår mellan oss.
– See if you can throw this! Kan han säga och hålla upp en femton centimeters gummifisk han har tillverkat själv hemma.
Jag har testat. Det går. Men det är fan inte roligt. Inte är det heller flugfiske. Men försök säga det till Mike.
-It´s a fucking homemade bait. Isn’t it?
-Put some fuzz on its ass if you want it to be more of a fly.
Jag är inte särskilt mycket av en flugtaliban, men när Mike testar en får man fan förklara sig. Gränserna liksom blir lite suddiga och bredare. Jag vet ju vissa som tycker att en wiggle tail inte hör till flugfisket. Det tycker jag. Inget snack om saken. Samtidigt tycker vissa att det är ok att gegga in sin fluga med massa “luktskit”. Där är inte jag, och kommer nog aldrig att vara. Men att fiska med jiggaktiga beten som inte kastar som flugor ska kasta. Kommer aldrig att ligga i min fluglåda.


Jag gillar Mike. Han är liksom så jävla... american. Det är ibland som att prata med någon från en annan planet. Planeten USA. Det är aldrig tråkigt. Enda gången när jag tröttnar är när vi snackar politik. Där är vi som sagt från två olika planeter. En av dem långt, långt bort, i en annan galax.
-What the fuck happened to you guys?
-Once you were a bunch of batshit crazy Vikings!
-Now you´re a bunch of pussy´s!
-Lucky for you then, Mike. Kan jag bara säga.
Nåja, det finns många i det här landet som har en långt mycket mer snedvriden politisk syn.


Men fiska kan han. Han har haft en riktigt bra säsong han Mike. Den bästa, enligt sig själv. Det började med den där gösen han fick i våras. En riktig fining. Den skapade en bra medvind för honom. Den vinden har liksom följt honom hela vägen under säsongen. Det gjorde den även för mig. Men för mig blåste från andra hållet liksom.

 
 




The season of Mike the Pike a.k.a King of Malaren

Mike lets his jig fly. It lands 25 meters away close to the edge of the grass.
-Yeah man! Did you see that? He says pleased with himself.
-Yes! Nice cast Mike. I answer.
I pull the fly out of the water and throw it back as I turn around. The line extends in the air. I throw back again and let a few feet of fly line run out. The rod buckles, I load for a front cast. The line stretches out in the air. I let a few feet run out. The line stretches again and I throw out backwards. The line stretches out nicely and sits next to where Mike´s bait landed. My "backhand muscles" is starting to get hurt. I´ve been throwing backhand casts since I got my second fish. Mike hasn’t caught anything yet.
-That cast was epic man! Says mike
Mike strikes. Or, just saying that he is making a strike, is really a wonderful understatement. He does it in the American way. I think about something like attaching a great white shark. I have never fished for a great white shark? So, I cannot really know. But that’s the way I imagine have to set the hook in such a fish. The poor little pike is shot out from the edge of the grass. In pure panic the fish runs to the left and then to the right. Then it skates up on the surface like a small surfboard and the “fight” is over. The small jack pike is dead tired. Worried for something to pull on its jaw again. Mike uses a lip grip. Nothing I would ever use. I do not think anyone else should do it either. But Mike has a bad shoulder. It´s to be operated on next Monday. There´s not going to be any pike fishing for a while.
-I'm the fuckin king of Maaalaren! Mike chuckles.
I smile.
-Off course you are Mike! You one and me two. I say as I send away another cast.
Mike backs up the boat farther from the grassy edge.
-Lets go over to the Pukehole. Says Mike and turns the throttle.


Here are some smaller jack pike that is chasing some small fry. None of them wants to bite. In addition to a small jack pike that charges both Mike's and my bait. The fishing sucks for a while. We see a lot of jack pike that is hunting fry along the edges. Mike strikes on a great white again. A little pike, about the same size as my fly. Goes up to the surface and surrenders.
-As I said, King of Malaren! He chuckles again.
Shortly thereafter he gets another.
-Mike three, you two!
-Let's go after some bigger pike Mike. I say.
He turns the throttle and we soon land along an edge where there usually are some bigger pike. He sets the boat twenty-five meters out from the corner where the largest fish usually houses. He casts his bait into the grass and slowly begins to retrieve it. I'm loading my backhand and the fly flies away. Nothing happens. We fish along the edge. A fish takes my fly as I slow down the pace of my retrieving. It takes so carefully that it could easily have been mistaken for a grass straw stuck on the hook. The pike rushes out ten meters from the grass edge, crosses and rushes back in again. Then it's over. A far too narrow pike lays stretched out on the surface. Two kilos that should easily be three. I remove some leeches from its mouth and head.
-That was a sad looking pike Mike. I say when I release it.
Mike casts on.
-This is my worst season yet. I say.
Mike laughs.
-Everyone says that.
-This has been my best season yet.
Mike the Pike


Mike is American. He originally comes from Cincinnati. He stayed here since he met his love here in Vasteras. Mike has a boat. Or, you could call it a wreck. It's as fast as me when I'm swimming. Öster Mälarstrand-Björnösundet takes about an hour. For a normal boat it takes about five minutes. The hull is so water-sick that the boats front cannot rise above the surface. Maybe if he had a hundred-horse powered engine. Perhaps. If both me and Mike stood in the stern. He's a freak on fishing, Mike. He is the opposite of what, for example, what most pike fishermen are today. There big baits, jerking etc., which today are the norm. Mike fishes with tiny baits, which he throws fearlessly into obstacles and vegetation.
-Weedless man! Yeah!
He also gets big fish on his small baits.
-You have to downsize your fucking flies’ man!


To some extent he is certainly right. I often feel a little “tick” when I fish for pike. Especially under cold conditions. Stinger hooks I do not like. That shit is fatal. I'd rather miss a few fish now than before I use stingers. But with some smaller flies where the hook is also smaller and is placed at the back of the fly. It could give me a few more pike. Next year I will try it. But at the same time, I think that if Mike were to use bigger bait, he would also catch more and bigger pike. I like the material conversations that arise between us.
-See if you can throw this! Can he say holding up a fifteen centimetre rubber fish that he has manufactured himself at home.
I have tried it. It works. But that's not fun. It's not fly fishing either. But try telling Mike.
-It's fucking homemade bait. Isn’t it?
-Put some fuzz on its ass if you want it to be more of a fly.


I'm not much of a fly fishing Taliban. But when Mike tests me, I really have to explain myself. The boundaries are becoming a little bit blurred and a little bit wider. I know some who think a wiggle tail does not belong to fly fishing. I think so. No question about it. At the same time, some people think its ok to put on some “smelly gunk” on their flies. There I am not and probably will never be. But fishing with the giant jig like baits that does not throw like flies should throw. Will never be in my flight box.

I like Mike. He's kind of so damn ... American. It's sometimes like talking to someone from another planet. The planet USA. It's never boring. The only time I get fed up is when we talk politics. There, as I said, we are from two different planets. One of them far, far away, in another galaxy.
-What the hell happened to you guys?
-Once you were a bunch of batshit crazy Vikings!
-Now you're a bunch of pussys!
-Lucky for you then, Mike.
Well, there are many in this country that has far more distorted political views.
But he can fish. He has had a really good season. The best, according to himself. It started with the gös that he got last spring. A real beauty of a fish. It created a good tailwind for him. The wind has followed him all the way during the season. It did so for me too. But for me, it was blowing from another direction.




The last picture is from Mikes and my last fishing together. With that fish he went up and won the day with four captured pike against my three.

Thank you, Mike. Because you let me use your pictures and for all the nice fishing that you and I have had together.

/Båge






Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar